Saturday 15 August 2009

Football, bloody football.


It's the beginning of the football season today, soccer to our American Friends, and The premiership is now the most watched and richest football league in the world. Great. Another 260 days of bloody soccer, unable to join in any conversation with starts with the words; "Did you see the football at the weekend?"

I don't know, I just find it very hard to care passionately about a game I love to play when its populated with overpaid winging crybabies.

It's also the strangest thing I find that the fans are so besotted with the idea of 'their' team that they don't acknowledge that most of their players couldn't even find the town they're playing for on a map.

I could understand it if the players were mostly local or even from the same country! But when you look at your Chelsea's and your Liverpool's and you can hardly pronounce half of the names of the back of the overpriced shirts you have to ask 'how involved with the club I love are they?'

I have a good friend that has been a Manchester City fan all his life. Season ticket, away games the whole lot. He always used to deride their local rivals Manchester United for their spending sprees and lack of local talent. Well now his beloved city have an Arab owner and are buying up pricey players like a fat man at an ice bun sale. He did the only honourable thing and stopped supporting city.

He now put his whole-hearted support behind Rhyl football club which is I suppose as grass roots as it gets. Half of the players use the local gym I go to and all live or come from this area.

Now I'm not a football fan, I used to enjoy it more because my friends in Liverpool were passionate about it but now, having moved on from that circle I just fail to see the point to be honest with you. It doesn't move me the way a line break or a sweeping back line does in Rugby. It doesn't seem physical enough to roll around on the floor in agony to play on the sympathies of the ref.

But those are just my own opinions which I fully accept I am in the minority. It is weird though whenever you meet a new bloke and you explain you're not really into football they look at you like you've got two heads.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did you see the football last night? What a game!

ORKNEY SEPT 2023   23/09/2023 When it comes to the best time to visit the remote Islands of Orkney off the north coast of Scotland, most peo...