Sunday 8 August 2010

Sat down sitting.



Spent the last four days house sitting for friends in a super-rural location where there's about eight people in a mile radius from the house. It's a quiet that you can rarely find on these crowded shores. It's deeply peaceful here.

Of course in the dead of winter when it's dark all the time I might feel different. But now in August it's beyond lovely.

The nice people here have cats and chickens (Not kept together obviously) and its the first time I've spent any extended time with a pride of cats and they're great. The personalities really start to come out after extended time together.

There's one cat I've nicknamed 'Bateman' because you know beneath that poised exterior he's actually a Grade A Psychopath. The next one I call Ackbar as everything I do she treats like "IT'S A TRAP!". There's no nickname for the third one as its just the most affectionate lovely creature and all my nicknames are slightly cruel.

Em might be a little smitten with a kitten. A little, but her heart lies with the hens. They've got six in a coop out the back and they're all rescue hens. So far they're laying between four and five eggs a day which I'm sure is more than the recommended daily intake! I think they're going to have to start selling them just to keep up with the volume.

One of the good things about saying here is that its shown me I can quite happily commute from here to Wrexham, it's knocked about ten miles and ten minutes off the journey. Admittedly some of the route is single track lanes hedged on both sides which might be fun in the dark but as my route at the moment is a boring stretch of motorway I think it could be a step in the right direction.

Had a crazily quiet Friday. The boss has been away Thursday and Friday this week so I worked my arse off on Thursday and by lunchtime Friday I'd run out of stuff to do. This doesn't often happen in payroll. One of the things I love about it is there's always stuff to do. If I'm not busy I'm bored.

I'm sure there's stuff I could have done but I haven't been there long enough to predict what those things could be.

So I had a very boring Friday afternoon which actually took longer than if I'd been busy, but as was pointed out to me the other week, I actually enjoy my job which I supposes says something psychological about me.

Eds BBQ last night was aces as ever good to catch up with some lovely people that I only see once a year. The costumes were in full affect as well which is great to see. Its a nice tradition which I love keeping up.

In other news this is a deeply amusing Jeremy Clarkson beatbox video which I heartily recommend.


CLARKSON

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ha, I am going to try out my thought, your post get me some good ideas, it's truly awesome, thanks.

- Murk

Anonymous said...

Yeah, what he said ^

ORKNEY SEPT 2023   23/09/2023 When it comes to the best time to visit the remote Islands of Orkney off the north coast of Scotland, most peo...