Sunday 12 October 2008

Events and happenstance.

Morning!

Yes, it is that damn early.

I believe I've told you of my inability to lie in. well its got worse. 5AM on a sunday is not the time to be getting up unless you're a baker or a priest. Payroll Officers don't need to be rising from their warm bed because they'd rather do anything rather than lie there.

I had this conversation with a friend of mine on Friday night. We were all hitting the bright lights of Llandudno for his leaving do from work and someone decided it would be an excellent idea if we all enjoyed a mojito together. One mojito turned to four and the conversation turned to our slumber habits in one of those weird conversational hairpin bends. Anyway I digress. The main reason, he said, for staying in bed was exactly the opposite of mine, He couldn't think of anything to do if he where to get up.

This attitude, whilst understandable, is totally alien to my nature. Whilst lying in bed this morning I could think of precisely nine very tempting things to do with my time rather than lie in bed and feel the world spin beneath me.

1) Bake some more bread
2) watch any number of DVDs I've got stored up.
3) start the new Iain M Banks book I bought for the scotland trip (I nixed that one as there seems a certain accuracy of thought reading a new Iain M Banks book in Scotland beside a roaring fire with a glass of something single and malty)
4) Replay Tomb Raider Anniversary, A remake of an excellent game done with deft touches and nods to one of my favorite games of all time, Tomb Raider - Legend.
5) Dig out the flute and have a quiet blow along to the old Jurrasic 5 LP - Power in Numbers they use a lot of live flutes as the backing track to their raps and I love playing along. Quitley mind you I do know its 6 in the morning.
6) Watch the Season 5 Red Dwarf marathon I taped last night. However I should really save that for when my sister comes to stay. She can quote most episods word for word and once had a Red Dwarf off with one of my best mates. For hours they tested each other (quite Scary) knowledge of the episodes and seasons leaving the rest of us stunned and not a little bemused.
7) read the next Sherlock Holmes story in the complete collection I was bought by my Dad when I was younger. Its amazing how much stuff still stays with you. I didn't appreciate the brilliant work of Arthur Conan Doyle when I was 12 though, just the stories. But it is truly wonderful work. I'm wary of the new Sherlock Holmes Movie starring Mr Robert Downey Junior as the titular detective though. It could be great or a total disaster. With Guy Ritchie directing and Jude Law as Watson. Jude Fff-ing Law? Not that I dislike Law its just my favorite Watson was always Nigel Bruce, the bumbling good natured fellow alway following Basil Rathbone about!
8) Go for a walk down to the beach and watch the Sun come up over the ocean with a cup of coffee. Which I still might do. Its very life affirming. Actually as it'll be 7:39 sunrise today. I might just give that a go.
9) Write the next switch, which is what I eventually decided upon once I've finished this blog post.

So with all this fascinating, involving stuff to do with my time off why people would choose to spend time in bed doing nothing is beyond me. I've always been like this though, easily excitable and enthusiastic.

So Friday night was a resounding success although I would recommend staying away from sambuca in future. especially when you've got a bellyfull of mojitos. I've always believed in the bonding power of getting drunk with workmates. It forges bonds that are very hard to break and builds trust and confidence in each other. Screw that wilderness falling back into each others arms crap. Give me a night out in a bustling city with good night life and lots of drinks. Job done.

Yesterday was spent moping on the couch watching Mo better Blues, City of God and rugby highlights, going outside purely for a burger for lunch and a chinese for dinner. Awesome.

Today is Jasmines Christening and I'm really pleased to be going. She's an absolutely lovely baby and its been great to see how much her mum and dad have blossomed after becoming parents. And here she is as a tiny tiny baby. Awwwww.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the way you say that there is not need for you to get up at 5am because you're not a baker, and then no1 on the list of things to do if you get up is bake some bread!

Anonymous said...

ah but i bake for fun not for profit. If i HAD to bake it, it wouldnt be fun.

ORKNEY SEPT 2023   23/09/2023 When it comes to the best time to visit the remote Islands of Orkney off the north coast of Scotland, most peo...