Wednesday 12 September 2007

The small rouge one.


Had a dream about Red Dwarf last night.
 
Bizarrely I was in it then I was watching it.
 
Red Dwarf was my group of friends secret language for a couple of years, every episode was watched to the point where the tape would wear thin, dialogue was learnt and quoted precisely mannerisms aped etc etc. There were penalties for mis-quoting by even a syllable.
 
I remember one night Jane and Craig spent the entire night testing each others knowledge and depth of geek-ism.
 
All this gets away from the fact that Red Dwarf was frighteningly funny. The writing had a sharp bitter flavour, full of the pain of wasted lives and bad situations.
 
Even the 'hero' was a gross out slob whose behaviour could very, very rarely be called heroic. Surrounded by a narcissistic human descended from a Cat, A hologram of the most annoying man in the universe(dead), A senile computer and an Android that only gained pleasure from housework it was a most unlikely crew to explore the out rim of space.
 
But we loved them.
 
So go on dig out some old red dwarf and laugh yourself stupid.
 
 
 
 
Smoke me a kipper...

6 comments:

Steve said...

I just finished watching the first 3 seasons again. Man glad i have them on dvd now

RaggedLady said...

Excellent, was just sat here thinking 'What can I do?' I've done too much excercise today for my legs to walk me to the pub... so Red Dwarf it is.

"Esperanto. That's a clue, isn't it? Esperanto -- hope. Hope
defeats despair. Despair -- the Despair Squid. It's a blatant clue,
isn't it? Blatant! If you didn't get that you must have been playing
like puddings!"

C. said...

I never liked Red Dwarf - I just pretended to so I looked cool... ;)

RaggedLady said...

Craig.. You *never* looked cool ;)

Sharrow said...

I agree, Don't forget Craig, we have the photos.

C. said...

Sniff...

ORKNEY SEPT 2023   23/09/2023 When it comes to the best time to visit the remote Islands of Orkney off the north coast of Scotland, most peo...