Sunday 16 May 2010

The 2010 Bimble : Saturday



Miles :246
Start: Rhyl
End: Gravesend

The night before we set out on our bimble (Dictionary definition : A long meandering journey with no fixed point of destination,) was my leaving do from the council. Probably not the most ideal preparation for a long journey. I don't imagine Scott of the Antarctic decided to nip out the night before traveling south for twelve pints and a curry. Nevertheless it was important to me to say goodbye to a placed and people I've very much enjoyed working for and with.

They very sweetly bought me two tasting glasses and a lovely bottle of my favourite type of whiskey (Anything from the Isle of Islay, this one was a Caol Ila out of interest.) So we went out for a couple of pints which was good fun. I flatter myself that they'll miss me just as much as I'll miss them but I don't think so!

I remember vividly leaving a previous job with Denbighshire and as I left the pub my assembled ex-work colleagues gave me a resounding round of applause much to the amusement of the other patrons! That was a great moment for me.

Anyways leaving the council this time I've already written about in a lot of detail so I'll move on.

We picked up a few things in town before leaving. Rhyl on a Saturday morning has a special funk of its own. Everyone seems to be hurrying about as if they have somewhere vital to be. Mainly, I think, anywhere that isn't Rhyl. Even the buskers are of a lower quality than you've come to expect in other large towns. One of them mumbles over every word as if hes embarrassed to be caught singing in public. Which is strange as he's there everyday, you'd think he'd have learnt the words by now. The other has a better voice but was singing, in all seriousness, Achy Breaky Heart.

Generally I have a positive outlook an life and I think mankind is evolving in the right direction but I only have to hear that song to lose all hope and feel nothing but pity and dispair for mankind. When there's soooooooo much good music, important music, soulful meaningful music out there to sing and you choose a shit novelty song from the early nineties, you've got to question your entire value system.

I am very much anti-death penalty but I am in favour of planned music re-education camps. Where you go in loving JLS and Cheryl Cole and re-emerge as a productive member of society appreciating Led Zepplin and Joni Mitchell.

Oh, a caveat to that earlier statement. If you don't enjoy the music of Al Green you have no soul and should be shot like a rabid dog.

So with our provisions laid in we pointed La Poderosa(My car) south and set out.

This Bimble has been a delibrate attempt on my part to relax more on holiday. We've got a dinner appointment in Brighton on Monday evening and the next thing I have to do is on the following Saturday. Normally I have a schedule and a good idea of what we have to do and where we have to go but this time I'm leaving that all up to fate. We're just going to see where we wake up meander around for the day, find a BnB with a pub nearby and stay there.

It might backfire spectacularly but if worst comes to worst we can get home from anywhere on the south coast in about eight hours. And its not lke we don't have family around here.

Its that special time of year when the rape seed has blossomed and the fields on the way down were that special yellow of the rape oil plant which makes that pasture look like it has captured raw sunlight and is now emitting it out. It's a beautiful colour giving the rolling hills a depth and texture that they don't usually possess with their ordinary crops. The contrast between the deep green of a fallow field and that raw golden sunlight is most pleasing to my horticulturally blind eye.

I think I associate that view with the start of summer proper so when I see those fields of gold (Thanks Sting) I know that summers here. Woot!

Also due to my impassioned indifference to Football/Soccer/Nancyball, call it what you will, travelling on FA Cup final day is no biggie so the roads were virtually empty which made for a very pleasant journey.

We made excellent time and were welcomed to Kent by Jane and Wez who have very kindly put us up for the weekend. The rest of the evening was spent variously watching TV, eating and talking and laughing throughout all of the above.

No comments:

ORKNEY SEPT 2023   23/09/2023 When it comes to the best time to visit the remote Islands of Orkney off the north coast of Scotland, most peo...