Friday 1 June 2007

Stephen fry and discrimination


In wasn't going to post again today but I'm afraid events today have forced my hand.
 
The discussion as it ever does at work turned to television and one of the older ladies I work with exclaimed her joy at 'Kingdom' which is a Steven Fry mild comedy on ITV with just enough of a dose of 'The Weird' to keep it interesting. Fry's a lawyer that helps people out with odd legal problems each episode like the littlest hobo in a Saville Row suit.
 
However after praising the series to the heavens she then unleashed a barrage against Steven Fry and his 'choice' of lifestyle.
 
The stream of vindictive hate from the mouth of someone usually so calm forgiving and placid was so foul it made me think he had personally offended her. It turns out she's simply a screaming homophobe.
 
Now is it right that people just smile and leave her to her little ways because she's just too old to know any better? Is it right I smouldered in quiet fury but ultimately said and did nothing?
 
No.
 
She should be confronted and told that her prejudices are unwarranted and unwelcome. It was the first time I realised that I do still live in a quiet backwater where 'The Gays' are treated as an alien invasion force corrupting our youth in their bizarre rituals rather than just normal humans.

2 comments:

Bard said...

shall we go round her house and deck her with rainbow scarfs and tight t-shirts. that'll show her. My manager is a homophobe also, she is constantly going on about the gays coming in the shop and i just have to stand there and nod. stupid cock of a woman

DoubleL said...

Urgh, I thought we lived in the 21st century. People like this really piss me off.

ORKNEY SEPT 2023   23/09/2023 When it comes to the best time to visit the remote Islands of Orkney off the north coast of Scotland, most peo...