Saturday 2 June 2007

Travelblog: To be read in the style of Hunter S. Thompson. R.I.P.


The train was jammed full of people. "Let me through dammit! I'm a doctor ferchristssakes!" I raged at the hordes of staggering morons choking the passageways. The half full bottle of 100 proof rum i was waving around let them know I was serious.

"Fisher! Overhere!" my companion had shucked two Portugese out of their gainfully aquired seats and we settled in opposite an old couple. They were holding hands in a tight but definite manner drawing strength from each other to deal with the horrifying madness that confronted them across their previously peaceful table.

Carefull words were called for. A set of calm assuring principles were needed to aswade their fears and to stop them involving the police. It was going to be a long enough journey without dealing with those sonsofbitches.

"My companion," I began "is the crown prince of a country I should not name. He is traveling incognito due to several specifically detailed death threats against his person."

Their terrified glances told me the conversation was slipping away from me.

"Listen!" I shouted, slamming the table with my fist "This is serious! This man requires constant medical attention! I am here as his personal physician to attend to his delusions and chronic bedwetting. You're perfectly safe with me."

"Yes," added my companion taking a big snort from the bag of whiteish powder hed dumped on the table,"we're not like the others."

"Damn it!" I exclaimed to him watching their hastily retreating backs" They've gone to get the police you know!"
"Why?" he replied pointing at the bag "I did offer them a straw."

I put the newspaper over my head and made snoring noises hoping the fuzz would think I was traveling alone.

The train roared on into the night.

No comments:

ORKNEY SEPT 2023   23/09/2023 When it comes to the best time to visit the remote Islands of Orkney off the north coast of Scotland, most peo...