Thursday 16 April 2009

America day 13

Got up and breakfasted early so we could catch a 'Duck Boat' tour which is an amphibious tour bus/boat given by a 'wacky' guide.

I don't do wacky.

I don't enjoy Zany.

I did very much enjoy our tourguides commentary as he was very knowledgable very funny and fully in possesion of those most important qualities Irony and Sarcasm.

Can we just get one thing clear right now? The Americans I have met this trip are just as capable of being knowingly funny (irony/sarcasm/metaphor) as people are in the UK. Some people don't get it, but thats a universal trait that will happen from Bangalore to Boston.

I say this as well because we have had excellent fun/chats with many people over here and this perception of the Americans as people who don't 'get' humour is an offensive racial slur.

Anyways after the duck tour we got chatting to 'The great Garibaldi' who, offstage was a very relaxed funny insteresting guy. He recommended a pub called the 'Pour House' (Okay not everything in america is funny) for dinner.

We headed up the prudential tower which has a view over all the boston. The views were stunning, the audio commentary less so.

From there we grabbed some lunch at Pizza Regina (Aparantly a landmark pizza joint, The chicken pesto pizza was rather good) and went to a fire station which was selling t-shirts for good causes. By now the sun was strong and we headed for some shade in the indoor market and after that it was time for Pint number one.

Another faux Orish bar called the purple shamrock had excellent ales but with Garibaldis suggestion in mind we headed back to the Pour house and had an excellent meal and many many beers for not a lot of money at all!

After that we came back to the rattlesnake bar where our waiter from the other night (The one I mentioned s have a good throughour knowledge of ales) was having car trouble and was waiting for a lift. I bought himn a consolation pint, and one for myself of course....

And then the evening gets a touch blurry. I don't remeber the photo being taken but that is Nick behind me. I do remeber getting lost after leaving the bar which is funny because the bar is less than 100m from the front door of the hotel and then I know I woke up, fully clothed with a git of a hangover. Which will become funny when you find out what we had panned for our final day in Boston.

1 comment:

RaggedLady said...

Did you go to the Pour House? I have good memories of their breakfast waffles.

ORKNEY SEPT 2023   23/09/2023 When it comes to the best time to visit the remote Islands of Orkney off the north coast of Scotland, most peo...