Thursday 16 April 2009

America day 3

Woke up early which will come as a surprise to no-one and went for a short run.

I don't often run at home, unless its along the walkway by the beach and even then I refer to it quite accurately as the 2 mile dog-shit dash.

The pavement over here are mercifully clean of dog waste and it was exactly the right weather for running. Cool but not cold with a slight damp in the air. I went back to the graveyard we passed yesterday and took some more photos, hoping there was no law about running on the tarmaced paths inbetween the gravestones.

I love getting to a new place and feeling the pavement beneath my feet. I suppose its my way of centering myself in a place, like a dog turning around three times before lying down. It makes me feel part of a place rather than a total alien in a strange land.

Coffee, Eggs and American bacon (Tasty yet crunchy) followed and then we were off to Mark Twains house which was about 20 minutes away.

I didn't know much about Mr Twain before the tour but I have top say I will be checking out some more of his works. Any man that smokes 30 cigars a day, has a billard table in his writing room and says things like "Travel is fatal to predjudice" and "Respect your superiors. If you have any." deserves to be read.

The picture above is Mark Twains wife who bears an uncanny resemblance to someone.......who could it be? ? ?

We picked up Kara and headed to a mexican place called On The Border. My obession with mexican food is well documented and I've blogged afew time about how much i miss it when Imaway from teh states. This was a fitting return to one of my favourtie items of food.
yum.

Then we headed down to Mystic where they have a submarine museum with an actual sub that you walk around. It was soooooooo cool seeing something that I'd only seen in movies before. Those hatches and really quite short Em kept giggling that shes found her natural home as one of the other three tall boys kept banging our heads.

We stopped for petrol on the way to dinner and I had one of those weird experiences you only get while you travel.

First though a word on Americans.

I have found, through my fairly extensive travels through the US 99.9% of americans to be absolutley lovely. Warm friendly and genuine in a totally open way which can set some distusting people on edge .

So one older guy by the pump got talking to me and he had spent 6 months in university in Brighton and had the best time. Which was cool. And then the cashier took one look at my fleece and enthused "Oh my God! I love your jumper! I just want to stroke it!" I preoffered my arm and he proceeded to give it a quick pat while proclaiming "I used to have one of these and I used to stroke myself all the time!".

I drew away my arm, not unhastley, praying that he'd at least washed his hands since then.

So like I say, genuine people, whether thats a good thing or not I suppose depends on the circumstances!

After that we went for a vietnamese meal in a place that steve and kara raved about and they were right to be frank, it was delicious. I couldn't give you names of the food items but there werer fried egg rolls followed by a tyupe of soup noodle combo washed down with Tsing Tsao beer. My idea of heaven.

I'm going to be sad to leave conneticut. I've been here twice now and i still feel like theres more stuff to do to get under teh skin of the place. I think thats probably the right way to leave a place. Always wanting more....

Tomorrow we head for DC where I've never been before. Its a good feeling.

No comments:

ORKNEY SEPT 2023   23/09/2023 When it comes to the best time to visit the remote Islands of Orkney off the north coast of Scotland, most peo...