Thursday 16 April 2009

America day 6

I woke up earlyso after listening to some podcasts in the dark so as not to wake Em I went for a walk around the area at about 7 to feel the city under my feet blah blah blah... Sorry I just loath repeating myself!

Kara had hurt her ankle in the night so decided not to join us in DC which was probably a good idea. AS soon as we got out of the car at the metro the heavens opened and a torrent of drenching rain engulfed us.

Considering everyone got a bit sunburnt yesterday that shows how changable the weather around here is!

We went to the Smithosian art exhibit type thing with lots of cool painting and some Gicacometti sculptures (which em adores) I love going to galleries with her because her enthusisam for these works of art is infectious. Also she talks about them in terms a non-arty person like me can understand. My main bugbear about art is the artists attempts to overanaylse it and give deep layers of meaning to things that have none.

Damien hursts Shark in a tank is a perfect example of this. Personally I think its cool. Its a shark. In a tank. Thats cool.

But to hear other people, arty people, talk about it you'd think he was the second coming or something. It doesn't represent the symbol of humanity, we are not all sharks encased in our own glass prison of concious. It's a shark. In a tank. It's cool.

And thats why looking at art with em is great because she looks at it knowing the pretentious wankyness but she sees through that it the actual worth of the piece and the talent that was required to bring it into being.

ANYWAY!

From there via a delicious hotdog, we went to the Air and space part of the Smithsonian and saw some cool WWII fighters and some of the earliest fighter jets which is something I love. That period in history has always fired my imagination.

From there we had a quick break back at the hotel then we had a burger at a joint called Five Guys and had a quiet night in with papa Johns pizza beer and Red Dwarf.

No comments:

ORKNEY SEPT 2023   23/09/2023 When it comes to the best time to visit the remote Islands of Orkney off the north coast of Scotland, most peo...