Monday 12 March 2007

Notes from...


I was interested by the idea of writing five hundred to a thousand words whenever time or an idea presented itself. They wouldn't have to link together in terms of a series in that one story could be set five years before of five minutes after the other.

In this I actually failed as pulling off that pulp fiction stunt of having scenes happen in random order is actually really really difficult to do with any kind of thread for the reader to hold onto.

I do have a great tendency to overcomplicate even the simplest scene and bog myself down in the detail when I should be looking at the whole thing.

Anyway chapter 2 just kind of establishes hidden depths to Brans character, his love of Opera was something I was planning on expanding but haven't yet. It also gives the narrator a chance to actually do something.

My problem with a lot of amateur ( and professional) fiction is that the lead character is just passive. Stuff happens to him and that was a trap I was trying to avoid.

No comments:

ORKNEY SEPT 2023   23/09/2023 When it comes to the best time to visit the remote Islands of Orkney off the north coast of Scotland, most peo...