Tuesday 20 March 2007

Yesterday



Didn't write anything yesterday at all as I was busy as all hell at work and then had to go to an art show.

I do really enjoy certain aspects of my job. The fiddling around with numbers is actually kinda fun, imagine if filling in sudoku was your job that's kind of what I do. I know what the numbers should be but I've got to actually get them there. Ok if you hated maths it akin to being suspended upside down over a vat of acid full of acid resistant sharks and being gently dipped in and out all day as the sharks nibble little bites from your flesh.

Sort of.

But I do enjoy it. Its just days like yesterday that get me down, its constant bollox being thrown at you from every angle, including problems you thought you'd solved months ago! But these days happen only once a month so twelve bad days a year isn't that bad really.


So I finish and take Em to an Art exhibition organised by her employers. She's entered a rather nice painting of a peacock which I'll upload later. She didn't win but they did give her a certificate and a big buffet which was nice. And then we saw the winners paintings.


I swear they were awful. They were worse than Emissary's Tot art but taken totally seriously. A couple of photographs were so badly framed and focused I couldn't work out what the hell they were. To be fair it was a amateur competition but the judges seemed to have randomly selected the winners based on... actually I've no idea what it was based on.

Now I know this sounds like sour grapes but Em herself said "I don't mind losing. There were some paintings that were much better than mine but they didn't win either!"

To lose to a better competitor is one thing but to lose to stuff that's artisticly inferior to my early morning turd is another.

Oh well.

OH I nearly forgot as we walked around the paintings the Old both female couple ahead of us had a conversation that went something like this;

CRONE 1: "Oh I like this one."

CRONE 2: "Is it painted?"

Crone1 then reaches out and actually strokes the painting.

CRONE 1 "Yeah its painted"


I had to have a fit of coughing to stop myself screaming "DON'T TOUCH THE FRICKING PAINTINGS!!!".

There are some things that are just plain rude. Laughing at stupid people for instance and then there are some things you should not do. LIKE TOUCHING PAINTINGS!

I was just amazed at the audacity of her actions.

So Em and I went back to the buffet and stuffed ourselves full to take the full value from the evening.

3 comments:

Bard said...

whats this whats this? i take my art very seriously!! from a post-ironic-humour standpoint obviously. The mastery of totart comes from the observers belief that an actual child drew it. It can be passed over by the eye as innocent and pointless. But it harbours dark sub meanings that no one will ever know without deep inspection.

Sharrow said...

And hence lies tot arts genius. It is trying to look like childs drawing but with adult themes and images ( not as in saucy adult I'd like to point out!).

These were adults, trying as hard as they could to do conventional art and ending up as worse than tot art. Does that mean that they or tot-art itself has failed?

Who can tell.

DoubleL said...

Your job is my utter worst nightmare. My ability in maths is only slightly better than my ability to fly.

And no, I can't fly. I wish I could, but I can't.

ORKNEY SEPT 2023   23/09/2023 When it comes to the best time to visit the remote Islands of Orkney off the north coast of Scotland, most peo...