Wednesday 4 April 2007

Bad-temper-minton


Football last night and badminton the night before. I've been busy busy busy.

Monday was the end of season tournament at badminton which was great fun for some. but not seemingly for others.

Let me explain.

The end of season tournament is meant to be a bit of fun without the innate silliness of the Christmas tournament in which fancy dress and playing wrong handed are considered par for the course.

In this tourney there's a trophy and everything. You are randomly matched with a partner and assigned a handicap based on your combined abilities. So if you get two good players together they have a minus handicap and if you get two bad players together they have a plus handicap.

Badminton is all about who can get to fifteen points the fastest. So If you start on plus five you only need ten points to win. However if you start on minus eight you need a whole twenty three points to claim victory!

I got drawn with a partner of similar abilities whom I would consider probably my equal on court. We had a couple of good games ended up winning one and losing four in total. The games we lost we scored quite a few points so we ended up coming fourth in our group of six which I reckon was actually quite good. Espically considering this is my first year of being in competition play.

However this, to my partner was just the worst thing that had ever happened to him.

Bad losers and bad winners just piss me off at some deep fundamental level.

If you win great! but don't rub your opponents nose it in. If you lose accept it with grace and dignity DON'T storm off court. DON'T make yourself even more of a cock. DON'T not go to the pub afterwards because 'We've got nothing to celebrate.'

The problem is he's quite a good guy but this bad sportsmanship really ruins his otherwise quite nice personality.

Or maybe I just don't care about losing that much.

Meh.

2 comments:

Bard said...

keep it on the court. I am insanely competitve within those court boundaries but once I step outside them I forget all about it.

Sharrow said...

That's a very healthy attitude my friend.

Wish I could say the same about HALO.

;)

ORKNEY SEPT 2023   23/09/2023 When it comes to the best time to visit the remote Islands of Orkney off the north coast of Scotland, most peo...