Sunday 1 April 2007

Camp-age : The Return



Back now, smelling slightly of smoke and ever so faintly of good whisky.

Its funny how weekend when you stay in the time seems to just fly and they're gone before you know it. Other weekends when you go and do stuff seem like they last forever!

Up early on Sat and did a couple of hours on my coursework, then loaded up the car and headed out to Llyn Gwynant which is a small lake just by the end of the Snowdonian range.

When ever I go to the mountains. I take the coast road for one reason. As soon as I pass Conwy you hit the mountains of Penmaenmawr which jut out over the road, looking like they'll spill down into the sea. As soon as I see those mountains my whole body relaxes. All this tension I carry around like luggage just eases and my soul soars.

Sorry. Its true though, I see those mountains and I'm home.

Anyways we wound our way along the coast to Caernarvon and then took a sharp left up towards Beddgelert. One of my favourite things about driving in Snowdonia this time of year that you can drive for miles without even seeing another car. Its like those adverts where they show all this beautiful open curving road streching out invitingly ahead. Driving up there is an absolute pleasure, even in a 12 year old car!

We hit the campsite and then walked up to the Pen-y-Gwryd Hotel where they serve probably the finest pint of best bitter in the northern hemisphere. It could the hours walk uphill from the campsite that make me say that, all I know is beer never tases as good anywhere else in the world. Maybe the Time square brewery in New York or the Hobgoblin in Reading might come close but its the Pen-y-Gwryd for me everytime.

Then a leisurely stroll back to the car for some supper and a tot of good whisky or two by the fire before bed.

My idea of heaven.

Back to work tomorrow and I've had such a good weekend I don't care. And isn't that the idea of a short break?

2 comments:

Bard said...

sweet, it's open for the summer again. I'm going to have to get over there for some serious relaxation and canoeing fun. I have never tried the beer there. I Will have to try it next time I go, sounds good.

Sharrow said...

I'll let you know next time we go. If you provde the canoing I'll provide a beer or two!

ORKNEY SEPT 2023   23/09/2023 When it comes to the best time to visit the remote Islands of Orkney off the north coast of Scotland, most peo...