Thursday 10 May 2007

Notes from the Road 8


Chapter 8


We kept heading straight north with the sun blinding us from the right hand sky in the morning and striking us dumb with its colours when setting in the left. I had never seen anything like it until I got out to the deep desert. There with such a wide horizon stretching around us the whole sky seemed to be burning in a sea of liquid fire.

It was late on at night but we were still motoring, looking for a cheap but clean motel. Several nights of camping out under the stars had convinced us that once in a while (but not too often) it was worth paying the meagre bill for a room in return for fresh sheets and a long soak in the tub. Not to mention my guilty pleasure of a little bad TV.

Dog, as we unimaginatively named him was in the back of the truck having stayed with us in spite of Bran's laconic objection.

"Don't like dogs."

"I always saw you as more of a cat man" I said unwrapping a fresh pack of smokes from the glove box.

"Don't like cats either."

Madison, sitting in the middle as always, turned to see dog lying in the middle of the flatbed as we roared along. He had spent most of his trip with us, head hanging over the side in the oncoming wind as dog are want to do.

"He must be cold out there, why can't he ride inside with us? There's plenty of room."

She moved her hips deliciously sideways into mine to create the dog sized space on the seat. Bran, unmoved, said nothing and glared ahead as if the tarmac was the source of his irritation. Madison moved slightly back away from me but not all the way.

I lit two smokes and passed one to Madison. We drove on in silence for a while, the roaring of the road like a gentle benediction on us. I didn't want the dog to come between us unless it meant Mad squeezing up to me again.

"It's not like we can take him back," I said. Bran glared at me. "Well okay, we could take him back but we'd have to go totally in the wrong direction, back on ourselves. Then find that kid and give him the dog back. and how do you know he won't chase after us again? He chose to join us. I think we should respect Dogs wishes."

"C'mon Bran. He's a real sweetheart." Chimed in Madison. "And he's taken a real shine to you."

This wasn't just idle flattery, Dog had decided that Bran was the alpha male in this little gathering and was treating him as his master even though Bran tried to have as little to do with him as possible.

We rounded a corner and in the dying light saw the road stretching out before us with no sign of habitation in the whole valley. Our dreams of a soft bed and hot bath that night died then and there.

"We'll sleep here tonight" Said Bran pulling off the side of the road in a little area surrounded by the bush.

"Great." I said "Another night of rice and beans. Just what I needed." Our supplies, whilst large in volume were somewhat lacking in variety

As we pulled to a stop Dog leapt over the back gate and ran around to the drivers side door to greet Bran as he exited the truck. He barked excitedly and Bran, as ever, ignored him whilst getting his bedroll from the back.

"You're not afraid of dogs are you?" Asked Madison reaching for her own pack.

Bran paused and gazed upon her with such intensity at what he regarded as a challenge to his manhood. If it had been anyone else apart from this striking tall blonde that dared to ask such a question I think we would have seen a different side of Bran. A darker, violent one that remains hidden most of the time but can surface in uncomfortable moments.

He studied her face, saw there was no insult intended and backed down placing his bedroll on the ground in a little clearing.

"No. I'm not afraid. I just don't trust animals that's all."

"Yeah." I added trying pathetically to lighten the mood "A hamster tried to scam me on a share deal once, wasn't pretty."

"I'll get some firewood." I said in response to their glares and started off up the hill, hearing Bran's heavy tread following me.

"I'll look after the truck then shall I?" Madison called after us whilst holding Dog back by his rope collar to stop him charging after Bran.

The air was very cold that night and temperature dropped even further whilst we both silently searched for firewood. I didn't want to intrude on my friends heavy thinking. I remembered how quickly he had made the decision to dump Pancho by the side of the road and hoped he wouldn't reach the same conclusion about Dog. If he abandoned the Dog then Madison would probably stay with the canine, I knew that much about her. And if Madison left, would I go too?

"I know what you're thinking. " He said. "You're wondering if I'm going to abandon the dog."

I was too startled to blurt out a denial as he continued.

"I wouldn't do that to anything or anyone that didn't deserve it. Pancho warranted it, he nearly killed us. The dog has yet to do me wrong but, mark me, it puts a paw wrong and it'll be on the road, alone, before you can blink. And if that means she goes too, well, so be it."

He turned on his heel, arms full of good burnable driftwood and headed back to the camp. I followed him silent our roles reversed for once he the verbose one and I the thoughtful brooding near mute. Could I abandon my travelling companion for the sake of a woman I barely knew? When it came to it, as I was sure it eventually would, how would I react? Could I choose loyalty over lust/love? I just didn't know.

We came back to find Madison and dog sitting in the truck listening to the radio. His head was on her lap and he perked up considerably when he saw Bran striding down the trail towards him.

Dog jumped out of the truck and walked at Bran's heels as he carried the firewood to the centre of the clearing. Dog stopped in mid tread, sniffing the air around him as his hackles rose like the cocking of a gun. He started to growl, a low roaring noise that sounded as if it should come from a much bigger animal.

"What's wrong boy?" Said Madison walking over from the truck but dogs attention was firmly fixed on Bran's back. Bran dropped the firewood and looked from looked from the Dog to me as if to say 'I told you so' as dog launched himself forward, fangs bared and
claws ready to rend and tear any opposition apart. I had never seen such a strong quick change from love to hate before in the animal kingdom. He had gone from loving Bran unconditionally to trying to eviscerate him in less than ten seconds. In fact if I didn't know better I'd say he was human.

Bran turned to try to catch dog in the air as the four legged fury roared towards and then past him landing with his snout firmly buried in Bran's bedroll. He stared to violently thrash the blanket around shaking the thing free of its strap revealing a rattlesnake which had embedded itself in the warmth of Bran's wrap. Bran had been standing directly between the dog and it prey. The three of us, hearts still racing from Dogs apparent treachery and the revealing of his true target, could only watch as the Dog and snake faced off against each other.

The snake hissed and rattled its telltale tail, darting out for Dog who with a nimbleness that surprised us all, snatched up the snake in his strong quick jaws behind its neck and flung the creature all around like a puppy with a chew toy until he was sure it was dead and dropped it at the stunned Bran's feet.

Bran bent down slowly and put his hand on Dogs head as if the action caused him physical pain.

"Good. Boy." he said as dogs tail thumped upon the ground.

"So I'm thinking, Motel tonight." Said Madison from her position cowering behind the truck. It was a harsh reminder that there are all sort of beasts in the wild and when you sleep in natures boudoir you can't expect to snooze alone.

-----

We drove on with Madison sleeping gently on my shoulder and Dogs head on Bran's knee. He looked at me and I at him and I knew that Dog would be with us until the end now, wherever and whenever that may be.

No comments:

ORKNEY SEPT 2023   23/09/2023 When it comes to the best time to visit the remote Islands of Orkney off the north coast of Scotland, most peo...